Friday 2 March 2012

Preliminary Task: School Magazine


      Using the research I had done, I was able to gather knowledge and skills to create my own school magazine. This is the cover of the magazine I created. From the terms I gathered and anatating a school magazine I was able to learn the terms and conventions and use these in improving my own work.
    I have used the house style throughout the page with the predominant colours being pale blue, dark blue and red. For the background I used a gradient tool in order to use the pale blue but give it more of a realistic, formal look so that there is more interaction with the page than it simply being one block colour.
      I have also placed a pug in the corner of the page which is the Deyes High Logo, this establishes the institute and is instantly recognisable to those associated with the school. The colours used for the house style are shown through the Deyes High logo. This logo is part of Ferdinand Sassures semiotic theory as it is instantly associated and has no direct link.
   The masthead of "Deyes High School" is in red block capitals in a Bell MT serif font. This connotes formality and prestige. Deyes High School is printed in this style all around the school and on most documents and on the school banner outside the building, by creating the masthead to be the same an instant connection can be made.
 There is a small folio in dark blue under the masthead which shows the date of issue. On the actual school magazine I analysed the folio was just right and below centre. I chose however not to follow this as when I have analysed other magazines this is not the conventional place nor style for the folio, I therefore used my initiative to place the folio in the conventional place.
    The brief stated that a midshot of a pupil of the school must be used. This was the only image I used on the cover as I chose to keep the page simplistic. I was able to crop and readjust my image on photoshop. The mise en scene of the image shows smartly dressed pupils using the schools technology, this connotes a smart and well equip institute.
   I used a large red puff overlaying the image, the writing is blue and of a serif font to again show formality. The colours show the house style and the context is relevant to the school.
   I used a strap line of "Primus Inter Pares" which is the schools motto. All students will recognise this and it holds the meaning of first among equals. The text is blue for the housestyle and the font is of a serif font for previous reasons stated.

No comments:

Post a Comment