Tuesday 24 April 2012

Front Page - Break Down

When analysing existing magazines I noticed that the colours used for the house style tend to adapt seasonally, as I chose to create a July 2012 issue I made a conscious decision from the start to ensure I used the colours chosen. First I created a pink gradient from the bottom up and added the masthead Rebel. The name has been justified in a previous post. I chose an elephant font and made it all capital letters, though I think the bright pink makes it more mischievous and fun. I used the fx tool to create a large drop shadow, contour, emboss and and inner shadow. 

I then used an image of Amy which I was able to manipulate. Using the magnetic lasson tool I was able to cut her out and feather her. Using the tools available on photoshop I was then able to increase the vibrance, brightness and contrast. I also used the highlighting tool to show Amy's bone structure. I considered making the hair bun bleed over the text though felt it may be a little too feathered to do so.

I then created the puffs beside the image. The text featuring the copy is conventionally next to Amy's head with a quote and buzz word of exclusive. All the text is in the colours chosen and adapts to the subject of choice, for example "RnB Stars" is in a smooth text that definitely converges with its purpose. I used different sizes and fonts throughout to vary and make it look professional like the covers I had analysed.  I also used the fx tool to create drop shadows, contours, gradients, inner shadows and outer shadows.

This is the completed product. I added in a folio of the issue number in the top right corner which is a pug. Also I added a price and offer at the top saying "ONLY £2". This was the average price in my questionnaire and "ONLY" is a buzz word to encourage readers to buy. I also added a banner at the bottom using the rectangle tool and created a text box on top creating a small top shadow using the fx tool. I also added a barcode which is very conventional.

No comments:

Post a Comment